Friday, December 03, 2004

Sleeping Buddha


Aso
Originally uploaded by KumamotoMark.
This is Mt. Aso, a massive volcano about an hour from my house. I took this picture on the way to Kurokawa. It was in June when the grass is the greenest. The spot where I was standing is on the lip of the caldera. It's a massive bowl, hundreds of square kilos, the biggest in the world, so I've heard. I have many friends who have lived in the area, just a beautiful place. If you use a bit of imagination, you can picture the figure of a sleeping Buddha. The face is the jagged set of peaks to the left, which is Nekkodake. The belly button is Mt. Aso itself, where the active crater is. You can see a bit of smoke rising from the sulfur pit. Check Adam's Higo Blog for more gorgeous photos of Aso (Link to the right).

No comments: