Thursday, January 19, 2006

Death by E:61:00

If you own some kind of Sony camera, perhaps you know what E:61:00 is. I have had my Cybershot since I bought it at the local Best Denki in Kumamoto about three and a half years ago. I have taken it to over 15 countries and snapped almost 3,000 shots. Obviously, it has taken quite a beating. I recently turned on the camera ony to see a blurry image and a flashing "E:61:00". I googled it and found this page.

It is a bulletin board for Cybershot owners who had the same problem. Among their claimed solutions: Forcefully obstructing the lense when it pops out to zoom; dropping it from a height of one to five feet on to a variety of surfaces. So I tried each of these methods unsuccessfully and even opened up the camera and jiggled its guts around and even located a stray pastic fragment that had been rattling around for years. No luck.

While it can still take pictures (somewhat blurry), it no longer has the capability to zoom in and out. I think my camera has reached the end of its life. I guess I am lucky the camera lasted this long, waiting to conk out in the rather unpicturesque month of January in St. Louis instead of October in the mountains of Northern Myanmar. And it just so happens that due to employment, I may soon have the resources to do something about it. Hmmm, let me count the Megapixels, 6.1...8.0?

No comments: