Monday, November 01, 2004

What's Tuesday again?


Kahoku plunge
Originally uploaded by KumamotoMark.
It is the night before the big erection day in America and there's one thing on my mind. You guessed it, jumping off waterfalls. Shortly after I arrived in Japan in August 2002, I discovered a new hobby and something I have pursued with persistent passion during my time here. My brother and I have driven thousands of km's in search of new conquests, gushing torrents that are created as water rushes from the central highlands of Japan towards the ocean. There has got to be a way to check this, but I would venture to say that Japan has the most waterfalls per square km than well, a lot of places. And Kumamoto has some gorgeous ones. Too many to mention. The picture here is the first one I jumped off (and will be the last) in Japan. It is located in Kahoku, about 1.5 hours away from our city. It is about a 10m drop, i'd say. Then there is the Amakusa Waterwheel, which is not only a nice waterfall, but a suspension bridge over the falls make the jump a very intense and body-jarring 15-20m drop, likely the highest jump you can safely attempt in Kumamoto. Another one that ranks near the top is the freshwater-saltwater falls that Joey and I discovered out on Yakushima. The frigid mountain stream falls away into the temperate sea with about a 10m drop. Last spring, my thirst for more waterfall action took me to the 100yen shop (everything about a dollar). I found a detailed map of Kumamoto with waterfalls marked. I spent a few days early this summer driving around and locating some of the best-kept secrets around. Japanese people tend not to be huge river-swimming fans, preferring a nice safe pool or hot-spring bath. Since my brother left in August, the one I have been going to regularly (in the heat of summer) is Nanataki. It is only about a 45 minute drive away. And although you can't attempt a jump from the top of the falls, the swimming hole is second to none and jumps can be made from nearby boulders. The summers can be pretty hot here, but this has been one way I've found relief and the adrenaline rush I crave. I even named a photo collection I put together for my brother's 27th birthday, "Jumping Off Waterfalls: The Fingerhut Brothers in Asia 2002-2004" Check it out on Amazon.

No comments: