Friday, June 03, 2005

A stroll down the Hakuzan Dori

There is a street near my house named the Hakuzan Dori. It is certainly not a historical street. Quite the contrary, it's a suburban nightmare of a (thoroughfare?). I often speed (sped) down this street in my car (R.I.P.) or scooter and take the sights for granted. However, recently, I have reached the point of my career in Japan where I know I should take notice of normal things here and realize they are not so normal in the states, or anywhere else for that matter.

First stop:
A sign of national pride
There is a very busy intersection, in which the middle of said intersection is placed this rather odd sign. My first year in Japan, I simply thought it was a sign for a restaurant specializing in food from the far north of Japan, islands off Hokkaido. Having studied a bit of history while I have been here, I noticed that there are a few islands in the area that have long been disputed territories with Russia. (See Tsushima War) Upon further review, I noticed this sign was something more political, a patriotic message perhaps. I may be (correct me if I am wrong) off base here, but the sign translated means: "The Northern Islands (Japan's), the day they are returned to Japan, the day of peace." Pretty interesting for a peaceful nation...

Continuing down the street. A newly built attraction, full parking lot 24/7. Huge revenue into the neighborhood. What else? A pachinko parlor.
Where to go...

Noisy machines are the attration here. Slots and pin-ball style games dominate the average man's time and yen. I recently partook in the grand scheme with Manami and one of her friends. This guy knew what he was doing. He helped me out and the three of us ended up winning 5,000 yen in an hour. Not too shabby. I didn't mind it altogether, just a little loud and a bunch of low-lifes hanging around, I mean look at his award winner...
happiness is slots

From there, it's about a 5 minute walk to the local used goods store. Here, you can find anything from delicious dishes, to dilligent drum sets. Check the name of the store:
hard what?
I mean I have to say it. If this store sells used things, what's the name of the store that sells new stuff. Soft Off..? or, eh...

No comments: