Monday, January 01, 2007

Hey Wurld, Happy New Year

Two and a half hours into 2007, happy to be relaxing in St. Louis. What a fantastic year it was. I found decent employment, saw two Fingerhuts become homowners, saw Joe and Michiyo travel the globe and return for the holidays. I contemplated joining the ranks of the aforementioned homowners, but settled on cheap rent and a fat whip instead.

I am not one to spend a lot of time thinking about the past in general, but now that I have a few minutes, I may as well. A brief history of my New Year's:

2003 - Spent the New Year's with my brother as we attempted to enjoy ourselves at a rave on a mountain top somewhere outside Nelson, New Zealand. If I haven't told that forgettable story before, remind me to do it sometime before I do.

2004 - New Year's visiting my girlfriend in Perth, Western Australia. The night itself was not so memorable, but 85 degrees outside at midnight on New Year's is pretty cool.

2005 - Solo snowboarding in Nagano, Japan allowed me to meet many random Gajinas. I arrived the day after the very first snow of the season, so scraping across the rocks on my board the first few hours was not so pleasant. A healthy dumping of fresh powder certainly did help over the next few days. Spent New Year's in an Alpine bar, celebrating the New Year earlier than I ever had before.

2006 - The homecoming celebration. After two triumphant months spent travelling SE Asia, I came home to an amazing group of friends and sibblings and a hell of a night at Cusamano's on Manchester. Mike inquired about dating my sister and with a few in me, I utilized one of the greatest words in Japanese, 'Dozo.'

2007 - A massive scandalous party last night set the foundation for a generally laid back night tonight. The superfriends gathered for a massive pot luck dinner with an amazing amount of delicious food. Stopped by Lynn's house for her party, then adjourned to another South City establishment. No cover, cheap drinks, accomodating environment. We were able to basically take over the bar, avoid excessive tabacco inhalation and enjoy eachother's company as we brought in the new year. The name of the bar? Friendly's.

I've been very lucky to enjoy the occasion of turning over the calendar in some amazing places. What's even better is the company I've kept on those nights. Family, Friends and Strangers. Had some great times and looking forward to o7.

No comments: