Thursday, January 25, 2007

New Yorkin

I'm in New York for three days working at Hunter College on 68th in Manhattan. Stayin at a place on 45th, 2 blocks from Times Square. Last night I walked down to the Garden and managed to scrounge up a ticket for the Knicks vs. Suns, one of the most exciting teams to watch in the last 15 years in the NBA. A bit of a slow start by the Suns, but they didn't dispappoint as they scored 62 in the second half. Nash was spectacular as usual and Stoudemire was unstoppable. The won their 15th straight for the 2nd time this season! Best comment of the the night, Eddie Curry left the game after he tweaked his ankle and the comment from a couple of New Yorkers behind me: "At least it's not his heart..."

Taking it a bit easier tonight, I walked down the street in the bitter cold to an izakaya called Riki. I was pretty much the only non-Japanese person there. So needless to say, the food was amazing. Squid, Yaki Tori and some Kimuchi Chahan, all while Japanese tv played in the background. I heard not a word of English spoken for a good hour and a half.

I've felt like a real New Yorker the last few days, commuting on the subway, passing through Grand Central every morning and evening, eating at a cart on the street outside Hunter. Granted, this is a better than average part of the city, not a place where many can afford to live, but I am quickly getting used the the pace here. Would be interesting to be here for more than a few days.

I'm meeting up with Miyazaki/Jersey Derrick tomorrow evening for a drink and perhaps a night on the town. I will be ready for that after dealing with *interesting* clients the last few days.

No comments: