Sunday, July 10, 2005

Tasaki Market, Kumamoto 田崎市場 

I e-mailed my friend Jamie the other day and told him I was about to go to the fish auction. He replied: "whoa, I didn't know you were in Tokyo, when are you coming back?"

Hard to believe, but there is a fairly huge fish market/auction right here in Kumamoto. It's located about 2km west of Kumamoto Station in Tasaki Machi. This past Thursday, Joe D and I joined two of my Karyo JH teachers for an early-morning tour. We met the teachers at about 5:30am then headed over to the market. I was manning the video camera so Joe snapped all these photos.

fukushima, joe, mf
Mr. Fukushima, Joe and I pose with our official market tourist hats. Too fly.

auction time
All these guys gather every morning among rows and rows of styrofoam boxes filled with all kinds of sea animals. The guy standing above everyone runs the auction.

bulk squid
かわいそマグロ
poor thangs
Squid, bloody Tuna tails and my current desktop photo. Gorgeous shot, Joe.

cuttin' moves
サシミ作り中
A large Tuna is cut into more managable pieces before being sliced into the classic sushi shape.

melon phalanx
veggie auction
After getting our fill of fish guts, we headed over to the fruits and vegetable market. These watermelon line up for shipment. There is also an auction for fruits and veggies, this was more organized and formal than the fish auction.

At about 7am, we ducked into a tiny shop for a delicious breakfast of Maguro-don. It was a heaping bowl of raw tuna with and egg on top with seaweed slices and mountain potato. We poured soy sauce and wasabi on top. One of the freshest and most delicious breakfasts i've ever had. Finally, it was time to go back home and freshen up for a long day at school. On the way, we spotted this hip hop fan. I think she was just coming home from a long night of clubbin'. SEXY!
And on the way home...

No comments: