Monday, August 13, 2007

Typhoon Arrival

I arrived in Hong Kong on Friday night in the midst of a mild typhoon. Just a bit of rain is all, not too bad. No delays on the flights, but I had to wait an hour for a taxi in Tsim Sha Tsui. Saturday I did a bit of exploring and shopping. It wasn't a very good day for taking pictures, but here's looking across the harbor into Central.
Typhoon Rolls Out

There was no jet lag that I could feel, so I took a long walk in the drizzle from Wachai to Central up in the hills, then the Star Ferry back to Hung Hom.

Sunday I woke up with one purpose, and that was to get to the Wanchai Hash starting at 4pm in the Pok Fu Lam area. I left around 2:30 with plenty of time to get to Central, locate the correct bus to take and find the start. After walking around Central for a good half hour and looking in vain for an information booth or map or bus schedule or anything, I was almost gonna give it up and go back. All of a sudden, I look up and see an older caucasian gentleman dressed in shorts and running shoes getting on a mini-bus. I looked at the bus and it was heading to one of the roads listed on the directions. When I got on, I asked him is he was a hasher by chance and why yes, he was. So I followed him to the start. It turned out to be a super long hash (compared to the average Wednesday night in St. Louis). We went up into the foggy hills, running through rain and looking for small piles of rice that are a lot more water resistant that flour. Up hundreds of stairs, then straight back down a path, back up into the hills, across slippery steep rocks then finally almost back down to sea level and the finish. We had circle under a bridge and I was awarded a down down along with my buddy from the bus for our teamwork in finding the place. I tried to speak some english to the random Korean tour group on the way back. A great workout and today i'm a little sore.

Another oddity is the crazy light show that takes place on the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront every night. Dozens of buildings in the HK skyline are rigged with all kinds of lights and lasers that are perfectly coordinated to corny Chinese music that's piped in. It is incredibly tacky, but interesting how they managed to coordinate so many things going on at once. I will hope to record the spectacle on video one day.

Here is the result of my Saturday morning shopping binge. Mostly food and home items, of course I managed to find a Japanese Home store for the essentials. And once again, i'm ecstatic to be in a country that has Dragonfruit readily available.
First Day Shopping...my Haul
Today was my first day at the Venetian in Macau. Just an overwhelming experience to say the least. I'll be here for 10 straight weeks, so much more to come on this monstrosity.

No comments: