Tuesday, August 28, 2007

In Bangkok Limbo

The other times I've been to Bangkok, it's a taxi from the airport to Kao San Rd. Not so this time. This week I have the pleasure of working in the Bang Na district of the city, which is a good 20 - 30km outside the center of the city. It's a lot like being in the suburbs of most large American cities. Not a lot to see and not a lot of places a pedestrian can easily get to. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to make it to a hash this week because work pretty much goes until 6:30 or 7. All I want to do after is get something to eat and take it easy. Unfortunatly, none of the restaurants in the hotel I am staying in offers Thai cuisine and there isn't much to walk to.

Oh yeah, and youtube is blocked anywhere in Thailand. Apparently, folks were posting videos denigrating the King, and well, that's a no no.

And as I sit in Bangkok, the Venetian Macao is officially opening today. Here are some snippets:

AP story
CNN Video

1 comment:

Mark Fingerhut said...

Yep, after I had a word with the King, he agreed to lift the ban.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/THAILAND_YOUTUBE_BAN?SITE=MOSTP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT