Saturday, September 01, 2007

From Kowloon to Wanchai to Chaiwan to Big Wave Bay and Back

When I woke up Saturday, I saw that it was the nicest day I've seen in HK in the three weeks I've been here. Few clouds in the sky and more importantly, it was not smoggy or foggy at all. I had no trouble seeing across the bay to HK Island and all the way to the top of the peaks.

I decided to take advantage and do a bit of hiking along with a visit to a beach to cool down. I made the short walk from my apartment to the Hung Hom ferry terminal where I hopped on the Star Ferry to cross over to Wanchai.
Star Ferry
Upon arriving in Wanchai, I get on the MTR train to Chaiwan. Wanchai station is rather interesting color-wise with lime green tiles on the walls and floors.
Wanchai MTR station
Once in Chaiwan, I have to make the 4km hike up and over Cape Collinson to get to the beach at Big Wave Bay. For about an hour, I am climbing stairs that look like this.
Stairs to Where
Quite taxing on a hot day. Nearing the top, there is actually a spring that emits drinkable water. How do I know it's drinkable? When I was here last week, an old guy was filling up huge tanks here and communicated that I was crazy to think I couldn't drink it. So I filled up my bottle and continued.
Agua Potable
Near the top of the Cape, there is a pretty nice view looking back on Chaiwan. Just an amazingly clear day.
Chai Wan from afar
Going over the crest of the hill, all the high rises disappear and what's left is an almost unspoiled view of mountains, islands and the coast.
Cape Collinson
Right on the tip of the Cape, they have constructed Cape Collinson Correctional Institute. I can't think this is anything but a white collar retreat for some embezzling businessmen of Hong Kong. Very nice indeed.
Cape Collinson Correctional Facility
Finally, I descend enough to get a view of where I am going, Big Wave Bay. Although I am slightly disappointed it is so crowded today, can't blame others for taking advantage of an awesome day. It's a great feeling to take off my sweat soaked shirt and hat and jump in the cool waters of the Pacific. After a short swim, it's another two hour hike over the mountains on a different trail back to Chaiwan, the train, the ferry then home.
Big Wave Bay

No comments: