Thursday, October 21, 2004

The Tokage Disappointment

You can probably see in the news that this latest typhoon, Tokage, was pretty bad. The death count now is over 60. I woke up Wednesday morning and saw that the typhoon was making a right turn (east) before hitting southern Kyushu, thus avoiding the Kumamoto area, located on Kyushu's west side. Our neighbors in Miyazaki got it pretty well. We got a little wind and it was pretty rainy, all day, but overall not the most exciting typhoon of the year. Lots of people were buried in mudslides, some fell into swollen rivers and some were swept away in high waves.

Other than that I have been spending my time the last few days following the League Championship Series' in the states. I hadn't really cared too much about the American League but I was happy to see Boston make their amazing comeback to beat the Yankees. I saw a picture on some site of Curt Schilling at a hocley game a while back and at first, it looked like he was wearing a Yankees hat. I looked closer and saw that it was a YH - Yankees Hater. That was the first time I'd seen that, pretty hilarious. That guy is a warrior, huh. But most importantly, it's all about the Cardinals. Game 7 starts in a few hours. I will be at school while the game is going on, and I have 4 classes in the morning so I'll only get to check between classes. I'll have the game taped. I know it would be best to wait until I can watch the game to learn the result, but come on, is that realistic? Time to see what those 105 wins this year meant...

All the talk about Japanese geography above convinced me to throw a map up of where I live. Kyushu is the southern-most of the 4 main islands of Japan. There are 5 Kens, or state-like areas. I live in Kumamoto in the capital of the Ken, Kumamoto City. There are about 700,000 people in the city, 2nd biggest to Fukuoka on Kyushu.

No comments: