Saturday, October 23, 2004

A Very Shaky Game 1

I was able to get the satellite dish you need to watch the premium sports channel here in Japan so I just finished watching Game 1. What a game. If every game in this series is like this, we are in for some fun. But I am sad now because that is the last one I will probably get to watch, they other games are on while I have to be at school.

You may have heard about the recent earthquakes over here. They happened up in northern Japan, very far from me. It's pretty sad because a lot of the areas hit by the quake are the same areas that got nailed by the biggest typhoon in 20 years last Wednesday. Japan can be a very dangerous place. Since the quake has happened, 1 TV channel has only been showing messages from people. They call the station and give the name of someone they are trying ot contact and they put the messages on repeat. I think the death toll is now at 17, but it will probably rise. One of my friends Amy works in Toyama, not too far from the quakezone, she said her area was not damaged and only felt about a 3-4 level shake. A classic quote from her, "They are saying there might be tsunamis. I wanna go to the beach and look for waves." One of the bullet trains had a minor derailment, and you can see on TV that tons of roads are fractured and impassible. Many houses collapsed and power was out pretty much everywhere in the areas.

Another thing I am pretty excited about--If you saw the picture from the Cards game I just posted, then you can see I can now transmit videos and TV onto my computer where I can then manipulate it and edit in any number of ways. I can do this with the help of my new video camera, a Sony Handycam DCR-HC40. I picked it up in Osaka, it's pretty nice. Stay tuned for more technology in action. Go Cards!

No comments: